The Minimalist Eleven

The Minimalist Eleven

Friday, July 26, 2013

Introductions and Beginnings

Hello internet!

Where to begin? I suppose I should begin at the VERY beginning.

So, once I didn't know much about this cultural phenomenon called Doctor Who. Eventually, I obtained access to Netflix. I had seen various episodes of it, but that was before they organized them all under "Classic Doctor Who." Eventually, there was a lull in the semester and I began a marathon of all the classic Who, leading naturally into the movie (what I could see of it on YouTube) and finally the so-called "NuWho" or New Who, however you call it.

I liked the original series. However, I had grown up with "cheesy sci-fi," already being a fan of Star Wars and Star Trek (Yes, both. And now, all three!). I considered the new show also excellent.

This all leads to the present day. Cosplaying as the Doctor is easier, as it doesn't seem as ridiculous as putting on the Klingon forehead-ridge make-up, or styling one's hair as Princess Leia's weird bun-things. In fact, I quickly acquired an Eleventh Doctor costume over a short amount of visits to Goodwill and various other thrift stores. I later made one/two passable Tenth Doctor outfits. Dressing as Eleven became an option after I finally learned how to tie a bow tie. (I will admit, it wasn't easy. It was definitely more frustrating than some of the most difficult video game boss fights.) And it was super fun in general.

Not long after the 50th Anniversary was described as being more like a movie, I knew what I should do: cosplay ALL the Doctors in the week or so before the airing of the episode. No problem, yeah? Well, it's actually proved more difficult than I thought. (And not JUST because of Six.) But more on that later.

This blog will seek to describe the struggles, triumphs, and losses (hopefully not many) in my journey to (1) play the Doctors in those eleven days, (2) find/create companion cosplayers, and (3) plan a Who-themed party for the 23rd of November. I found several good blogs about cosplaying as the Doctor, specifically one/a few here on Blogger. So why not me? No, I probably won't be ordering custom suits or fabrics, or anything super-accurate but super-expensive. Nevertheless, it will hopefully be a fun experience.

Stay tuned for updates. Brave heart, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment